Find Plans in your area with your ZIP Code
You can compare all the available Special Needs Plans in your area by using our zip code lookup tool above or by clicking on your county below. Continue reading to find out more about Tennessee's Medicare Advantage SNP program and how it compares to other options.
Do I Qualify to Enroll in a Medicare Special Needs Plan in Tennessee?
Most people living in Tennessee, age 65 and older, qualify for Medicare Advantage but do not qualify for a Special Needs Plan (SNP). A SNP is a Medicare Advantage plan, but they are only available to people with one of the following special needs:
- Chronic Condition (C-SNP): You have one or more severe or disabling chronic conditions.
- Institutional (I-SNP): You live in an institution (like a nursing home), or you require nursing care at home.
- Dual Eligible (D-SNP): You have both Medicare and Medicaid.
Compare 2024 Special Needs Plans in Tennessee by County
Each SNP limits membership to people in one of these groups or a subset of one of these groups. For instance, a SNP that's designed to serve people with chronic and disabling mental health conditions might include access to a network of healthcare providers who specialize in treating severe mental health issues. Such a plan would also feature clinical case management that's designed to serve people with this condition.
There are three ways to enroll:
- Call a plan directly. If you know the plan you want, this way is quick and easy.
- Go to www.Medicare.gov and enroll through the government website. From there you can look up your medications, compare plans, and get your application started online.
- Use an independent Tennessee insurance agent. This is the best way to go if you need someone to help advise you.
If You Don't Qualify for Special Needs Benefits
If you're not eligible for a Medicare SNP plan, there are several other options to get more coverage:
Find Plans in your area with your ZIP Code
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? These common questions and answers might help. Or, call 1-855-728-0510 (TTY 711) to speak with a licensed advisor.
What are the 3 types of Medicare SNP plans?
There are three different kinds of Medicare Advantage Special Needs Plans (SNPs). Each has different requirements for eligibility. The plan types include Dual-Eligible Special Needs Plan (D-SNP), Chronic Condition Special Needs Plan (C-SNPs), and Institutional Special Needs Plan (I-SNP).
What is the difference between SNP and D-SNP?
SNPs (Special Needs Plans) are Medicare Advantage plans for people with specific needs. There are three types: D-SNP is for dual-eligible individuals (Medicare and Medicaid), I-SNP plan for institutionalized individuals, and C–SNP plan for individuals with serious chronic health conditions. See if you qualify.
What benefits do Medicare SNP plans offer in Tennessee?
SNPs must provide all the same benefits as Original Medicare, just like all Medicare Advantage plans sold in Tennessee. Every SNP must offer Part D prescription benefits, which is not the case with regular Medicare Advantage plans. Other benefits vary depending on which plan you choose. D-SNP plans, for example, coordinate Medicare and Medicaid benefits for dual-eligible members. Dental, vision, and hearing benefits are common in all types of SNP plans.
Medicare Advantage and Part D plans and benefits offered by the following carriers: Aetna Medicare, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aspire Health Plan, Dean Health Plan, Devoted Health, GlobalHealth, Health Care Service Corporation, Cigna Healthcare, Humana, Molina Healthcare, Mutual of Omaha, Premera Blue Cross, Medica Central Health Plan, SCAN Health Plan, Scott and White Health Plan now part of Baylor Scott & White Health, UnitedHealthcare(R), and Wellcare.
Citations & Referencesmedicare.gov
- CMS.gov, "2024 Medicare Part C Landscape Source Files", Last Accessed October 14, 2023
- Medicare.gov: the official U.S. government site for Medicare | Medicare http://www.medicare.gov/
- Find a Medicare plan https://www.medicare.gov/plan-compare/
- Medicare Benefits | SSA https://www.ssa.gov/medicare/
- Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs | SSA https://www.ssa.gov/medicare/prescriptionhelp/
- Medicare Benefits | SSA https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare/
- Five-Star Quality Rating System | CMS https://www.cms.gov/medicare/provider-enrollment-and-certification/certificat...
- Medicare Open Enrollment | CMS https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Reach-Out/Find-tools-to-help-you-h...
This Medicare Advantage Special Needs Plan state information page was last updated on .