Find Plans in your area with your ZIP Code
To compare the Special Needs Plans available in your area, you can use our zip code lookup tool above or click on your county below. If you'd like to learn more about how the Medicare Advantage SNP program works in New Mexico and how it compares with other options, keep on reading.
2024 Medicare Advantage Special Needs Plans for New Mexico Beneficiaries
Be the first to know. Sign-up for 2024 Medicare SNP notification HERE. 2024 Medicare plan information will be available in early October.
How-To Enroll in a New Mexico Special Needs Plan
Most people living in New Mexico, age 65 and older, qualify for Medicare Advantage but do not qualify for a Special Needs Plan (SNP). A SNP is a Medicare Advantage plan, but they are only available to people with one of the following special needs:
- Chronic Condition (C-SNP): You have one or more severe or disabling chronic conditions.
- Institutional (I-SNP): You live in an institution (like a nursing home), or you require nursing care at home.
- Dual Eligible (D-SNP): You have both Medicare and Medicaid.
Compare 2024 Special Needs Plans in New Mexico by County
Each SNP limits membership to people in one of these groups or a subset of one of these groups. For instance, a SNP that's designed to serve people with diabetes mellitus might include access to a network of healthcare providers who specialize in treating this form of diabetes. Such a plan would also feature clinical case management that's designed to serve people with this condition.
To get enrolled:
- Call a plan directly. If you know the plan you want, this way is quick and easy.
- Go to www.Medicare.gov and enroll through the government website. From there you can look up your medications, compare plans, and get your application started online.
- Use an independent New Mexico insurance agent. This is the best way to go if you need someone to help advise you.
If You Don't Qualify for Special Needs Benefits
If you don't qualify to enroll in a Special Needs Plan, you have other options, including:
Find Plans in your area with your ZIP Code
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? These common questions and answers might help. Or, call 1-855-728-0510 (TTY 711) to speak with a licensed advisor.
What are the different types of Medicare special needs plans?
There are three types of Medicare Special Needs Plans (SNPs). Each type has different eligibility requirements. The SNP plan options are Chronic Condition Special Needs Plan (C-SNPs), Institutional Special Needs Plan (I-SNP), and Dual-Eligible Special Needs Plan (D-SNP).
What is an SNP Medicare plan?
SNPs (Special Needs Plans) are Medicare Advantage plans for people with specific needs. There are three types: D-SNP is for dual-eligible individuals (Medicare and Medicaid), I-SNP plan for institutionalized individuals, and C–SNP plan for individuals with serious chronic health conditions. See if you qualify.
What are the advantages of a SNP plan?
Like all Medicare Advantage plans sold in New Mexico, Special Needs Plans (SNPs) must offer all of the same benefits found in Original Medicare. However, unlike regular Medicare Advantage plans, every SNP must include Part D benefits for prescriptions. Other plan benefits depend on the plan type. For example, most D-SNP plans coordinate Medicare and Medicaid benefits for dual-eligible plan members.
Medicare Advantage and Part D plans and benefits offered by the following carriers: Aetna Medicare, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aspire Health Plan, Centene Corporation, Dean Health Plan, Devoted Health, GlobalHealth, Health Care Service Corporation, Cigna-HealthSpring, Humana, Molina Healthcare, Mutual of Omaha, Oscar Health Insurance, Premera Blue Cross, Medica Central Health Plan, SCAN Health Plan, Scott and White Health Plan now part of Baylor Scott & White Health, and UnitedHealthcare.
Citations & Referencesmedicare.gov
- CMS.gov, "2024 Medicare Part C Landscape Source Files", Last Accessed September 27, 2023
- Medicare.gov: the official U.S. government site for Medicare | Medicare http://www.medicare.gov/
- Find a Medicare plan https://www.medicare.gov/plan-compare/
- Medicare Benefits | SSA https://www.ssa.gov/medicare/
- Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs | SSA https://www.ssa.gov/medicare/prescriptionhelp/
- Medicare Benefits | SSA https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare/
- Five-Star Quality Rating System | CMS https://www.cms.gov/medicare/provider-enrollment-and-certification/certificat...
- Medicare Open Enrollment | CMS https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Reach-Out/Find-tools-to-help-you-h...
This Medicare Advantage Special Needs Plan state information page was last updated on .