Find Plans in your area with your ZIP Code
To compare the Special Needs Plans available in your area, you can use our zip code lookup tool above or click on your county below. If you'd like to learn more about how the Medicare Advantage SNP program works in Florida and how it compares with other options, keep on reading.
Who Can Enroll in a Florida Medicare Special Needs Plan?
Most people living in Florida, age 65 and older, qualify for Medicare Advantage but do not qualify for a Special Needs Plan (SNP). A SNP is a Medicare Advantage plan, but they are only available to people with one of the following special needs:
- Chronic Condition (C-SNP): You have one or more severe or disabling chronic conditions.
- Institutional (I-SNP): You live in an institution (like a nursing home), or you require nursing care at home.
- Dual Eligible (D-SNP): You have both Medicare and Medicaid.
Compare 2024 Special Needs Plans in Florida by County
Each SNP limits membership to people in one of these groups or a subset of one of these groups. For instance, a SNP that's designed to serve people with congestive heart failure might include access to a network of healthcare providers who specialize in treating congestive heart failure. Such a plan would also feature clinical case management that's designed to serve people with this condition.
There are three ways to enroll:
- Call a plan directly. If you know the plan you want, this way is quick and easy.
- Go to www.Medicare.gov and enroll through the government website. From there you can look up your medications, compare plans, and get your application started online.
- Use an independent Florida insurance agent. This is the best way to go if you need someone to help advise you.
Not Qualified to Enroll in a Special Needs Plan?
Special Needs Plan are not for everyone. Fortunately, there are other options to get additional coverage. Start here:
- Medicare Advantage HMO and PPO plans
- Medicare Part D prescription drug plans
- Medigap plans for supplemental insurance
Find Plans in your area with your ZIP Code
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions? These common questions and answers might help. Or, call 1-855-728-0510 (TTY 711) to speak with a licensed advisor.
What are the three types of Medicare special needs plans?
Medicare allows private health plans to offer three different types of Special Needs Plans. They include D-SNP plans for dual-eligible people. C-SNP plans for people with certain chronic illnesses. And I-SNP plans for institutionalized individuals.
What is the difference between SNP and D-SNP?
SNPs are Medicare Advantage private health plans that cater to individuals with special needs. There are three types of SNP plans: D-SNP for dual-eligible (Medicare or Medicaid) individuals; I-SNP plans to support people who are institutionalized or homebound; and C-SNP plans that support people with certain chronic conditions. Learn how to qualify.
What do Medicare Special Needs Plans cover in Florida?
Like all Medicare Advantage plans sold in Florida, Special Needs Plans (SNPs) must offer all of the same benefits found in Original Medicare. However, unlike regular Medicare Advantage plans, every SNP must include Part D benefits for prescriptions. Other plan benefits depend on the plan type. For example, most D-SNP plans coordinate Medicare and Medicaid benefits for dual-eligible plan members.
Medicare Advantage and Part D plans and benefits offered by the following carriers: Aetna Medicare, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aspire Health Plan, Dean Health Plan, Devoted Health, GlobalHealth, Health Care Service Corporation, Cigna Healthcare, Humana, Molina Healthcare, Mutual of Omaha, Premera Blue Cross, Medica Central Health Plan, SCAN Health Plan, Scott and White Health Plan now part of Baylor Scott & White Health, UnitedHealthcare(R), and Wellcare.
Citations & Referencesmedicare.gov
- CMS.gov, "2024 Medicare Part C Landscape Source Files", Last Accessed October 14, 2023
- Medicare.gov: the official U.S. government site for Medicare | Medicare http://www.medicare.gov/
- Find a Medicare plan https://www.medicare.gov/plan-compare/
- Medicare Benefits | SSA https://www.ssa.gov/medicare/
- Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs | SSA https://www.ssa.gov/medicare/prescriptionhelp/
- Medicare Benefits | SSA https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare/
- Five-Star Quality Rating System | CMS https://www.cms.gov/medicare/provider-enrollment-and-certification/certificat...
- Medicare Open Enrollment | CMS https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Reach-Out/Find-tools-to-help-you-h...
This Medicare Advantage Special Needs Plan state information page was last updated on .