Searching for a Medicare Special Needs Plan in Louisiana? You're in the right place, but there's one more step to take. You need to click on your Parish below. If your Parish is not listed, no plans are available in your area.
Who Can Enroll in a Louisiana Medicare Special Needs Plan?
Most people living in Louisiana, age 65 and older, qualify for Medicare Advantage but do not qualify for a Special Needs Plan (SNP). A SNP is a Medicare Advantage plan, but they are only available to people with one of the following special needs:
- Chronic Condition (C-SNP): You have one or more severe or disabling chronic conditions.
- Institutional (I-SNP): You live in an institution (like a nursing home), or you require nursing care at home.
- Dual Eligible (D-SNP): You have both Medicare and Medicaid.
Each SNP limits membership to people in one of these groups or a subset of one of these groups. For instance, a SNP that's designed to serve people with congestive heart failure might include access to a network of healthcare providers who specialize in treating congestive heart failure. Such a plan would also feature clinical case management that's designed to serve people with this condition.
To get enrolled:
- Call a plan directly. If you know the plan you want, this way is quick and easy.
- Go to www.Medicare.gov and enroll through the government website. From there you can look up your medications, compare plans, and get your application started online.
- Use an independent Louisiana insurance agent. This is the best way to go if you need someone to help advise you.
If You Don't Qualify for SNP
If you don't qualify to enroll in a Special Needs Plan, you have other options, including:
If you're not sure which direction to take, we have a page that lets you compare all Medicare plans.