AARP MedicareRx Preferred is a 2023 Enhanced Medicare Part D plan (Plan ID: S5820-020) from UnitedHealthcare that's available to beneficiaries enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan without Part D benefits or Medicare Part A and/or Part B.
This Part D plan has an initial coverage limit of $4,660 and a $0.00 deductible that must be paid before cost-sharing begins. CMS rated this plan 3.5 (Above Average) out of 5 stars.
GET NOTIFIED: 2024 Medicare Part D Plan Notification
- It is an enhanced benefit Medicare Part D plan from UnitedHealthcare.
- The plan's monthly premium is $116.10, and there's a $0.00 annual deductible.
- Enhanced plans, like AARP MedicareRx Preferred, have a higher actuarial value than basic benefit plans.
- Actuarial value refers to the percentage of cost covered by the plan.
- Enhanced plans generally have higher monthly premiums than basic benefit plans but offer more benefits.
- This plan offers additional coverage in the coverage gap (aka, "donut hole").
- This plan does not qualify for the Extra Help program's full low-income subsidy.
- It's important to remember that benefits vary from plan to plan.
- 2024 Medicare Prescription Drug Plan information for AARP MedicareRx Preferred will be published in early October. Sign-up to be notified.
|Rx Gap Coverage:||Yes|
|Low Income Subsidy:||No|
WARNING: Before enrolling in a Part D plan, take the time to evaluate the cost of your regular prescriptions.
Please note that 2024 Medicare Part D information from UnitedHealthcare will not be available until early October.
Sign-Up for 2024 Medicare Part D Plan Notification.
Prescription Drug Plan Premium
Although AARP MedicareRx Preferred's monthly premium is bundled with the total plan cost, some plans have supplemental costs and/or offer low-income subsidy (LIS) assistance. The following table outlines the premium details of this UnitedHealthcare plan.
|Basic Part D Premium:||$94.50|
|Supplemental Part D Premium:||$21.60|
|Total Part D Premium:||$116.10|
|Part D Premium with Full LIS Assistance:||$77.70|
|Part D Premium with 75% LIS Assistance:||$87.30|
|Part D Premium with 50% LIS Assistance:||$96.90|
|Part D Premium with 25% LIS Assistance:||$106.50|
For more information about the Low-Income Subsidy (aka, "Extra Help") program, refer to the Social Security Extra Help page.
Prescription Drug Plan Deductible
The Medicare Part D annual deductible with this plan is $0.00. This is the amount you must pay at the pharmacy before UnitedHealthcare begins paying its share.
Prescription Drug Plan Out-of-Pocket Costs
In addition to the plan's monthly premium and deductible, AARP MedicareRx Preferred has copayments (a fixed dollar amount) and/or coinsurances (a percentage amount) that you must pay when you pick up your prescriptions. The following table shows you those costs.
|1 (Preferred Generic)||$7.00 copay||$15.00 copay|
|2 (Generic)||$12.00 copay||$20.00 copay|
|3 (Preferred Brand)||$47.00 copay||$47.00 copay|
|4 (Non-Preferred Drug)||40%||45%|
|5 (Specialty Tier)||33%||33%|
Our Review & 2023 CMS Rating Marks
This Medicare Part D plan gets 3.5 out of 5 stars overall. Here's our quick summary of how well AARP MedicareRx Preferred performs.
Most Part D plans get average marks, including this one. AARP MedicareRx Preferred delivers an excellent customer care experience when members call for help. Compared to other plans, Medicare gets relatively few member complaints about this plan. Medicare beneficiaries enrolled in this UnitedHealthcare plan enjoy a good member experience. When it comes to drug safety and the accuracy of drug pricing, this plan is below average.
Every plan covers drugs differently, so it's important to look at your total cost. You can find enhanced benefit plans that have a lower monthly cost than this one. If the plan covers your prescriptions at a lower price overall, that's fine. This plan has a zero-dollar deductible. That means you have first-dollar coverage.
Each year the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) rates drug plans (Part D) in four broad categories. We do not recommend joining a plan with an overall rating of less than 3.0. Here are the most recent CMS ratings for this plan:
|CMS Measure||Star Rating|
|Overall Plan Rating|
|Drug Plan Customer Service|
|Complaints and Changes in the Drug Plan|
|Member Experience with the Drug Plan|
|Drug Safety and Accuracy of Drug Pricing|
AARP MedicareRx Preferred is available in the following states:
Call 1-855-728-0510 (TTY 711) to speak with a licensed insurance agent (Mon-Fri, 8am-9pm , Sat 8am-8pm EST) and learn more about this Medicare Part D plan and other plans on this site. You may also Enroll Online using our safe and secure online enrollment website or take advantage of the following plan resources:
|Plan Website:||UnitedHealthcare Plan Information|
|Formulay Information:||UnitedHealthcare Formulary Information|
|Pharmacy Information:||UnitedHealthcare Pharmacy Information|
If you qualify for Medicare but have not yet enrolled or verified your enrollment status, you can do so on the Social Security Administration website. You can learn more about the Medicare Advantage program on www.medicare.gov.
Medicare Advantage and Part D plans and benefits offered by the following carriers: Aetna Medicare, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aspire Health Plan, Centene Corporation, Dean Health Plan, Devoted Health, GlobalHealth, Health Care Service Corporation, Cigna-HealthSpring, Humana, Molina Healthcare, Mutual of Omaha, Oscar Health Insurance, Premera Blue Cross, Medica Central Health Plan, SCAN Health Plan, Scott and White Health Plan now part of Baylor Scott & White Health, and UnitedHealthcare.
Citations & References
- UnitedHealthcare, "http://www.AARPMedicarePlans.com", Last Accessed October 15, 2023
- Medicare.gov, "Explore your Medicare coverage options", Last Accessed September 19, 2023
- Medicare.gov, "How Part D works with other insurance", Last Accessed August 14, 2023
- Medicare.gov, "Costs for Medicare drug coverage", Last Accessed June 3, 2023
- SSA.gov, "Understanding the Extra Help With Your Medicare", Last Accessed February 9, 2023
- CMS.gov, "Landscape Source Files", Last Accessed January 15, 2023
- CMS.gov, "Medicare Part C & D Performance", Last Accessed January 15, 2023