Unlike Medicare prescription drug plans in Ohio, which are the same statewide, Medicare Special Needs Plan (SNP) availability and options vary by area. The reason for this is simple. Not all areas have the same healthcare providers or needs, so localized plans are best. And, even though SNPs are private health plans, like Medicare Advantage plans in Ashtabula County, OH, enrollment requirements are different.
Getting Enrolled in a Ashtabula County Medicare Special Needs Plan
Not everyone qualifies to join a SNP plan. To qualify as a person with special needs you must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- An institutionalized individual,
- A dual-eligible (Medicare and Medicaid) person, or
- An individual with a severe or disabling chronic condition.
If you qualify, you can join or switch plans during a Medicare Election Period. For most people, the Annual Election Period (AEP), which starts on 15 October and ends 7 December, is the time they update their enrollment.
There's also an Individual Election Period (IEP) that you can use once. Your IEP is a 90 day period around your 65th birthday. It starts the month before you turn 65 and ends the month after.
In addition to the periods outlined above, you may be able to join a SNP with a Special Election Period in certain situations. Situations that may qualify you for a Special Election Period include:
- You are diagnosed with a severe or disabling condition: You can enroll in a Chronic-Condition Special Needs Plan (C-SNP) for beneficiaries with your illness at any time.
- You move into a nursing home or require skilled nursing care at home: You can enroll in an Institution Special Needs Plan (I-SNP) or switch plans at any time.
- You qualify for Medicaid: If you have Medicaid or are newly eligible for Medicaid, you can enroll in a Dual-Eligible Medicare Special Needs Plan (D-SNP) at any time.
- You move outside of your existing Special Needs Plan’s service area: You'll qualify for a Special Election Period to switch to a new plan.
- Your Special Needs Plan leaves the Medicare program: You'll qualify for a Special Election Period to switch plans.
There are three ways to enroll in an SNP:
- Call our Trusted Partner at 1-855-266-4865. This toll-free number is staffed by HealthPlanOne, the outsourced partner of choice for some of the nation’s largest health plans.
- Call a plan directly. If you know the plan you want, this way is quick and easy. All of our plan pages provide contact information.
- Go to www.Medicare.gov and enroll through the government website. From there you can look up your medications, compare plans, and get your application started online.