While Montana Medicare Part D plans are the same throughout the state, the complexity of Medicare Special Needs Plans (SNPs) requires them to be localized. The primary reason for this is that each county has different healthcare providers, and the residents have different needs, so localized plans offer the best care. SNPs are similar to Medicare Advantage plans in Jefferson County, MT, but they have different enrollment requirements.
Who Can Enroll in Medicare Special Needs Plan in Jefferson County?
SNP plans are not available to everyone. To join you must first prove have special needs based on one or more of the following criteria:
- An institutionalized individual,
- A dual-eligible (Medicare and Medicaid) person, or
- An individual with a severe or disabling chronic condition.
For those who qualify there are several different Medicare Election Periods. This is when you can join or change your plan. Most people wait until 15 October to 7 December to make enrollment changes. This is the Annual Election Period (AEP).
You also have an Individual Election Period (IEP). Your IEP begins the month before your 65th birthday, includes your birth month, and continues the month after your birth month.
Outside of these periods, you may be able to join a Special Needs Plan with a Special Election Period. Some situations that may qualify you for a Special Election Period include:
- You are diagnosed with a severe or disabling condition: You can enroll in a Chronic-Condition Special Needs Plan (C-SNP) for beneficiaries with your illness at any time.
- You move into a nursing home or require skilled nursing care at home: You can enroll in an Institution Special Needs Plan (I-SNP) or switch plans at any time.
- You qualify for Medicaid: If you have Medicaid or are newly eligible for Medicaid, you can enroll in a Dual-Eligible Medicare Special Needs Plan (D-SNP) at any time.
- You move outside of your existing Special Needs Plan’s service area: You'll qualify for a Special Election Period to switch to a new plan.
- Your Special Needs Plan leaves the Medicare program: You'll qualify for a Special Election Period to switch plans.
There are three ways to enroll in an SNP:
- Call our Trusted Partner at 1-855-266-4865. This toll-free number is staffed by HealthPlanOne, the outsourced partner of choice for some of the nation’s largest health plans.
- Call a plan directly. If you know the plan you want, this way is quick and easy. All of our plan pages provide contact information.
- Go to www.Medicare.gov and enroll through the government website. From there you can look up your medications, compare plans, and get your application started online.