Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage (D-SNP HMO) A 2022 New Haven County, Connecticut Medicare Advantage Special Needs Plan
Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage, by Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, is a 2022 Medicare Advantage Special Needs Plan (HMO D-SNP) available in New Haven County, Connecticut. Delivery of healthcare services and costs are significantly different than in Original Medicare, and the plan offers additional benefits that are not included with Medicare Part A is hospital coverage for Medicare beneficiaries. It covers inpatient care in hospitals and skilled nursing facilities. It also covers limited home healthcare services and hospice care. and Part B.
- This is a Medicare Special Needs Plan, with a HMO provider network, exclusively for people with Medicare and Medicaid is a public health insurance program that provides health care coverage to low-income families and individuals in the United States. benefits (Dual-eligible beneficiaries are those who receive both Medicare and Medicaid benefits. It includes beneficiaries enrolled in Medicare Part A and/or Part B while receiving full Medicaid and/or financial assistance through a Medicare Savings Program....).
- This is a zero-dollar D-SNP cost-sharing plan. Members have no copays when they use Medicare-approved healthcare services.
- To qualify, you must live in New Haven County and have both Medicare Part A and Part B. Plus, you must qualify for full Medicaid.
- Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage includes a Medicare Part D plans are an option Medicare beneficiaries can use to get prescription drug coverage. Part D plans provide cost-sharing on covered medications in four different phases: deductible, initial coverage, coverage gap, and catastrophic. Each... prescription drug plan.
- The annual Part D deductible is $480.00. You pay this amount before cost-sharing begins.
- If you qualify for the Social Security "Extra Help" program you can get financial assistance to help pay your Medicare Part D monthly premium, annual deductible, and prescription A copayment, also known as a copay, is a set dollar amount you are required to pay for a medical service..
- Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage provides the same coverage benefits as Medicare Part A and Part B (Original Medicare) and includes some extra benefits not covered by Original Medicare.
- If you are not qualifed to enroll, one of the Original Medicare is private fee-for-service health insurance for people on Medicare. It has two parts. Part A is hospital coverage. Part B is medical coverage.Medicare Advantage (MA), also known as Medicare Part C, are health plans from private insurance companies that are available to people eligible for Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B). available in New Haven County, Connecticut might be your best option.
Plus your Part B premium.
|Health Plan Deductible:||$0.00|
|Out-of-Pocket Maximum:||$7,550 Doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, and other healthcare providers that agree to health plan members' services and supplies at a set price are in-network providers. With some health plans, your care is only covered if you get...|
|Drug Plan Benefit:||Enhanced |
|Rx Gap Coverage:||Some Generics|
|Availability:||New Haven County, Connecticut|
|Insured By:||Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield|
Health Plan Costs & Benefits
Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage is a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) plan. HMO plan members usually receive health care services through the plan’s local network of providers. Referrals are almost always required to see a specialist and other providers. However, Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage does allow out-of-network care for emergencies and out-of-area dialysis.
A premium is an amount that an insurance policyholder must pay for coverage. Premiums are typically paid on a monthly basis. In the federal Medicare program, there are four different types of premiums. , A deductible is an amount a beneficiary must pay for their health care expenses before the health insurance policy begins to pay its share., and copays vary widely from plan to plan. It is very important to compare costs and apply them to your personal financial and healthcare needs.
Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage's total monthly premium in New Haven County is $30.50. This includes your prescription coverage, as well. Plus, you must continue to pay your monthly The Medicare Part B premium is the monthly charge paid by beneficiaries for their outpatient medical care, services, and supplies. A beneficiary's premium may be uplifted by an IRMAA surcharge if their income is above....
Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage's annual health plan deductible is $0.00. This does not include the deductible for the prescription drug plan (if any), which is detailed below.
Maximum Out-of-Pocket Limit
The Maximum Out-of-Pocket (MOOP) with this Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield plan is $7,550 in-network. Unlike Original Medicare, Medicare Advantage plans must set an annual Maximum Out-of-Pocket (MOOP) limit on inpatient and outpatient healthcare services. Once you reach this amount of spending on your copayments, all of your Medicare Part A and Part B services will be covered at no additional charge for the remainder of the year. MOOP does not include monthly premiums, prescriptions, or other extra benefits.
Health Plan Out-of-Pocket Costs
The following table is a summary of the most common Out-of-Pocket Costs for Medicare are the remaining costs that are not covered by the beneficiary's health insurance plan. These costs can come from the beneficiary's monthly premiums, deductibles, coinsurance, and copayments. you will incur if you join this Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield plan:
|Healthcare Service||Member Cost|
|Health plan deductible||$0|
|Maximum out-of-pocket enrollee responsibility (does not include prescription drugs)||$7,550 In-network|
|Wellness programs (e.g., fitness, nursing hotline)||Covered|
|Preventive care||$0 copay|
|Mental Health Services|
|Outpatient group therapy visit||$0 copay|
|Outpatient individual therapy visit||$0 copay|
|Inpatient hospital - psychiatric||$0 copay|
|Outpatient group therapy visit with a psychiatrist||$0 copay|
|Occupational therapy visit||$0 copay|
|Medical Equipment / Supplies|
|Durable medical equipment (DME) is equipment that is designed to last and can be used repeatedly. It is suitable for home use and includes wheelchairs, oxygen equipment, and hospital beds. (e.g., wheelchairs, oxygen)||$0 copay|
|Diabetes supplies||$0 copay|
|Diagnostic Procedures / Lab Services / Imaging|
|Lab services||$0 copay|
|Diagnostic tests and procedures||$0 copay|
|Outpatient x-rays||$0 copay|
|Medicare Part B is medical coverage for people with Original Medicare benefits. It covers doctor visits, preventative care, tests, durable medical equipment, and supplies. Medicare Part B pays 80 percent of most medically necessary healthcare services. Drugs|
|Foot Care (podiatry Services)|
|Routine foot care||Not covered|
|Hearing exam||$0 copay|
|Hearing aids - over the ear||Not covered|
|Hearing aids - inner ear||Not covered|
|Dental x-ray(s)||Not covered|
|Oral exam||Not covered|
|Prosthodontics, other oral/maxillofacial surgery, other services||Not covered|
|Restorative services||Not covered|
|Diagnostic services||Not covered|
|Non-routine services||Not covered|
|Eyeglass frames||Not covered|
|Eyeglasses (frames and lenses)||Not covered|
|Routine eye exam||Not covered|
|Eyeglass lenses||Not covered|
|Emergency Care / Urgent Care|
|Ground ambulance||$0 copay|
|Inpatient hospital coverage||$0 copay|
|Outpatient hospital coverage||$0 copay|
|Skilled Nursing Facility||$0 copay|
|Optional supplemental benefits||No|
Feel free to download our Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage Summary of Benefits information.
Prescription Drug Plan Costs & Benefits
Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage includes an enhanced benefit Medicare Part D plan (PDP). Enhanced plans have a higher actuarial value than basic plans. Actuarial value simply refers to the percentage of cost that's covered by the plan.
Enhanced plans generally have higher monthly premiums than basic benefit plans but offer more benefits. For example, many enhanced PDPs do not have an annual deductible, may offer additional coverage during the coverage gap (aka, "donut hole"), and may have a broader list of supported drugs, known as a A formulary is a list of prescription drugs covered by a prescription drug plan or another insurance plan offering prescription drug benefits. Medications not on a plan's formulary are generally not covered.. Some enhanced PDPs even cover excluded drugs. It's important to remember that benefits vary from plan to plan.
Prescription Drug Plan Premium
Although the prescription drug plan (Part D) premium is bundled with the total plan cost, some plans have supplemental costs and/or offer Social Security's Low-Income Subsidy (LIS) program helps Medicare beneficiaries pay for their Medicare Part D prescription drugs by paying some of the costs. Also known as "Extra Help", beneficiaries who qualify for LIS receive premium... (LIS) assistance. The following table outlines the prescription drug plan premium details of this plan.
|Basic Part D Premium:||$30.50|
|Supplemental Part D Premium:||$0.00|
|Total Part D Premium:||$30.50|
|Part D Premium with Full LIS Assistance:||$0.00|
|Part D Premium with 75% LIS Assistance:||$7.60|
|Part D Premium with 50% LIS Assistance:||$15.20|
|Part D Premium with 25% LIS Assistance:||$22.90|
For more information about the Low-Income Subsidy (aka, "Extra Help") program, refer to the Social Security Extra Help page.
Prescription Drug Plan Deductible
The Medicare Part D annual deductible with this plan is $480.00. This is the amount you must pay at the pharmacy before Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield begins paying its share.
NOTE: The deductible does not apply to one or more drug tiers in this plan (see "Prescription Drug Plan Out-of-Pocket Costs" below).
Prescription Drug Plan Out-of-Pocket Costs
In addition to the plan's monthly premium and deductible, Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage has copayments (a fixed dollar amount) and/or coinsurances (a percentage amount) that you must pay when you pick up your prescriptions. The following table shows you those costs.
|1 (Preferred Generic)||$0.00 copay|
(deductible does not apply)
(deductible does not apply)
|2 (Generic)||$20.00 copay||$20.00 copay|
|3 (Preferred Brand)||$47.00 copay||$47.00 copay|
|4 (Non-Preferred Drug)||$95.00 copay||$100.00 copay|
|5 (Specialty Tier)||25%||25%|
|6 (Select Care Drugs)||$0.00 copay||$0.00 copay|
Our Review & 2022 CMS Rating Marks
Each year the The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is the U.S. Federal agency that runs the Medicare, Medicaid, and Children’s Health Insurance Programs. (CMS) rates Medicare Advantage D-SNP's in nine broad categories. MedicareWire is a Medicare insurance consulting agency. We founded MedicareWire after seeing and hearing how confusing and frustrating it is to find, understand, and choose a plan. Our services are free to the consumer. does not recommend joining a plan with an overall rating of less than 3.0. (3 stars)
This D-SNP plan is one of the top performers in Connecticut. Staying healthy is the best way to save money on health care, and in MedicareWire's judgement, Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage does a good job keeping its New Haven County members in top health through preventive care, including screenings, tests, and vaccines. This plan is good at managing its member's chronic (long-term) health conditions. Medicare beneficiaries enrolled in this Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield plan enjoy a good member experience. Complaints and changes in plan performance are one way we can measure quality, and this plan scores good at both. The plan shines at customer service with an overall excellent mark on this important metric.
|CMS Measure||Star Rating|
|2022 Overall Rating|
|Staying Healthy: Screenings, Tests, Vaccines|
|Managing Chronic (Long Term) Conditions|
|Member Experience with Health Plan|
|Complaints and Changes in Plans Performance|
|Health Plan Customer Service|
|Drug Plan Customer Service|
|Complaints and Changes in the Drug Plan|
|Member Experience with the Drug Plan|
|Drug Safety and Accuracy of Drug Pricing|
How to Qualify to Enroll in
Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage
To qualify for enrollment in Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage in New Haven County, you must be eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid. To be eligible for Medicare, you must be age 65 or older, or have Social Security Disability Insurance for 24 months. To be eligible for Medicaid, your income and assets must be at or below Connecticut's state thresholds.
Before enrolling in Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage, or any other dual-eligible SNP, be sure to ask the following questions:
- What costs should I expect to pay out-of-pocket (premiums, deductibles, copayments)?
- Will I be able to use my doctors? Are they in the plan's network?
- Are the plan's in-network providers and facilities in convenient locations?
- Does the plan provide coverage for services I receive from out-of-network providers?
- Do I need a referral to see a specialist?
- Are my medications on the Part D plan's formulary? What if I can't afford my medications?
- What special accommodations does the plan make for persons with disabilities?
- Does the plan offer free meal delivery after a stay in the hospital?
- What help is offered for caregivers? Is adult day care covered?
- Does the plan offer a prepaid card for over the counter medications and covered groceries?
Contact Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
|Pharmacy Information:||Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Pharmacy Page|
If you qualify for Medicare but have not yet enrolled or verified your enrollment status, you can do so on the Social Security Administration website. You can learn more about the Medicare Advantage program on www.medicare.gov.
Citations & References
- Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, http://www.anthem.com/shop, Last Accessed October 15, 2021
- Medicaid.gov, "Medicaid & CHIP in Connecticut", Last Accessed June 15, 2022
- CMS.gov, "Dual Eligible Special Needs Plans (D-SNPs)", Last Accessed May 21, 2022
- CMS.gov, Landscape Source Files, Last Accessed October 26, 2021
- CMS.gov, Medicare Part C & D Performance, Last Accessed October 6, 2021
- CMS.gov, Plan Benefits Package, Last Accessed October 4, 2021
This Medicare Advantage SNP plan information page was last updated on .