AARP Medicare Advantage Choice is a 2022 Medicare Advantage PPO plan from UnitedHealthcare that's available to Medicare beneficiaries living in New Haven County, Connecticut.
- It is a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) health plan.
- It has the same major health insurance benefits as Original Medicare is private fee-for-service health insurance for people on Medicare. It has two parts. Part A is hospital coverage. Part B is medical coverage..
- It offers extra benefits that Medicare Part A is hospital coverage for Medicare beneficiaries. It covers inpatient care in hospitals and skilled nursing facilities. It also covers limited home healthcare services and hospice care. and Medicare Part B is medical coverage for people with Original Medicare benefits. It covers doctor visits, preventative care, tests, durable medical equipment, and supplies. Medicare Part B pays 80 percent of most medically necessary healthcare services. do not cover.
- There's a $15 copayment to see your primary care physician (Doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, and other healthcare providers that agree to health plan members' services and supplies at a set price are in-network providers. With some health plans, your care is only covered if you get...).
- The monthly premium is $55.00 (plus your monthly The Medicare Part B premium is the monthly charge paid by beneficiaries for their outpatient medical care, services, and supplies. A beneficiary's premium may be uplifted by an IRMAA surcharge if their income is above...).
- The health plan does not have an annual A deductible is an amount a beneficiary must pay for their health care expenses before the health insurance policy begins to pay its share..
- The maximum Out-of-Pocket Costs for Medicare are the remaining costs that are not covered by the beneficiary's health insurance plan. These costs can come from the beneficiary's monthly premiums, deductibles, coinsurance, and copayments. with this plan is $7,550 (in-network).
- It includes a prescription drug plan (Medicare Part D plans are an option Medicare beneficiaries can use to get prescription drug coverage. Part D plans provide cost-sharing on covered medications in four different phases: deductible, initial coverage, coverage gap, and catastrophic. Each...). The annual Part D deductible is $295.00.
This UnitedHealthcare PPO plan allows you to choose your own primary care doctor, specialists, and other healthcare providers in New Haven County. In most cases healthcare providers in the plan's provider network cost less.
AARP Medicare Advantage Choice's monthly premium in New Haven County is $55.00. That includes your prescription coverage, as well. Plus, you must continue to pay your monthly Medicare Part B premium. Some Medicare Advantage (MA), also known as Medicare Part C, are health plans from private insurance companies that are available to people eligible for Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B). include a monthly Part B premium reduction, also known as the Medicare give back. This plan's Part B premium reduction is NONE.
Co-payments and/or co-insurances also apply with most healthcare services, except preventive care mandated by CMS (see R7444-001 Summary of Benefits).
Although the health plan itself does not have a deductible, the prescription drug plan does. It's $295.00 per year. That means you pay 100% of your prescription costs until you've spent $295.00, then the plan will begin paying it's share.
IMPORTANT: When evaluating AARP Medicare Advantage Choice, look past the monthly premium. Identify the costs of the healthcare services you use most. Only then will you uncover the plan's value for your personal situation.
Maximum Out-of-Pocket (MOOP) Limit
Unlike Original Medicare, Medicare Advantage plans must set an annual Maximum Out-of-Pocket limit on inpatient and outpatient healthcare services. The AARP Medicare Advantage Choice plan MOOP is $7,550 . Once you reach this amount of spending on your copayments, all of your Medicare Part A and Part B services will be covered at no additional charge for the remainder of the year.
NOTE: MOOP does not include what you spend on monthly A premium is an amount that an insurance policyholder must pay for coverage. Premiums are typically paid on a monthly basis. In the federal Medicare program, there are four different types of premiums. . It also does not apply to your prescription drugs, Part D deductible, or any other extra benefits bundled in the plan.
CRITICAL: Be sure to evaluate the annual premiums and MOOP of AARP Medicare Advantage Choice versus what you might expect to pay for a Medicare Supplements are additional insurance policies that Medicare beneficiaries can purchase to cover the gaps in their Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B) health insurance coverage. in New Haven County. Some Medicare Supplements offer less overall financial risk than Medicare Advantage plans with a similar annual cost.
If you qualify for Medicare but have not yet enrolled or verified your enrollment status, you can do so on the Social Security Administration website. You can learn more about the Medicare Advantage program on www.medicare.gov. To learn more about this plan, visit the UnitedHealthcare Medicare website.
Additional Medicare Plan Options in New Haven County
Are you eligible for a New Haven County, CT Medicare Special Needs Plan (SNP)? SNPs are a special type of Medicare Advantage plan designed to help people with special needs. Here are some of the SNP plans in your area:
- Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage Select (Local HMO), for Dual-Eligible beneficiaries
- ConnectiCare Choice Dual Vista (Local HMO), for Dual-Eligible beneficiaries
- UnitedHealthcare Dual Complete (Local PPO), for Dual-Eligible beneficiaries
- Wellcare Dual Liberty (Local HMO), for Dual-Eligible beneficiaries
- Wellcare Dual Access (Local HMO), for Dual-Eligible beneficiaries
Not qualified for an SNP? Here are some additional plans you might consider:
- Wellcare No Premium Open (PPO)
- Cigna True Choice Plus Medicare (PPO)
- ConnectiCare Choice Plan 1 (HMO)
- Aetna Medicare Essential Elite Plan (PPO)
- ConnectiCare Flex Plan 1 (HMO-POS)