Things happen and things change including your health and sometimes your health plan as well. Take advantage of the 2020 Medicare Annual Election Period (“Open Enrollment”) to review your current coverage and make sure it is still what you need from your health plan.
The Annual Election Period (AEP) is October 15 to December 7. So right now is your opportunity to think about and choose the best coverage for your needs.
Also See: Medicare Advantage 2020 by the Numbers
The choices you make during AEP will be effective for all of the new year. You cannot make any changes until the next AEP a year from now unless you qualify for an exception or have Original Medicare with a Medicare Supplement Plan.
Information Checklist for Comparing Medicare Plans
Our information checklist will help you gather the information you need to reference when reviewing your current plan and comparing other available plans.
- How is your general health?
- Has your health changed considerably in the past year?
- Ongoing conditions such as high blood pressure or diabetes?
- Vision or hearing problems?
- One-time health needs such as illness or injury?
- How often do you visit the doctor?
- Do you see any specialist?
- Do you live in a long-term care residence or skilled nursing facility (nursing home)?
- Do you have a planned surgery or procedure coming up?
- Review your summary of benefits you periodically get from Medicare or your Medicare Advantage plan, this lists the services you received and the costs.
- Prescriptions Drugs (all formularies are different and may affect which plan is the best plan for you)
Factors That Apply to Your Healthcare Plan Usage
Now that you have gathered the items on this checklist, please keep in mind the following factors as it applies to your health and usage of your plan.
- Monthly Premium, if any
- Max Out of Pocket (this is your maximum risk if your health dramatically changes during the year)
- Does the plan reimburse the Part B Deductible?
Once you have gathered this information, you are ready to start comparing plans at https://medicare.gov.