AARP MedicareComplete SecureHorizons Value for San Diego, CA
Medicare Advantage Plan Summary & Benefits
AARP MedicareComplete SecureHorizons Value is a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) healthcare plan for seniors and other beneficiaries residing in San Diego County, CA. It includes all of the benefits of Original Medicare and may include prescription drug coverage and other extras. The primary benefit of an HMO is that the out-of-pocket costs are lower and more predictable than with other types of plans.
Please note: You must use plan providers to avoid incurring additional costs. You will be responsible for the costs of out of network care. Referrals may be required for all but primary care physician visits.
The health care benefit information provided here is an overview only and not a comprehensive description of available benefits. Additional information about the plan benefits is available from your agent.
Summary of Benefits
The information on this page is a brief summary. We recommend that you download and print the Summary of Benefits PDF document for this 2014 health plan and read it thoroughly. Please Contact an Agent or the plan if you have unanswered questions.
The monthly premium for this health insurance plan in San Diego County is $25.00 plus your monthly Medicare Part B premium. Most Medicare beneficiaries pay the standard monthly Part B premium in addition to their MA or MAPD plan premium. However, some beneficiaries are required to pay slightly higher Part B and Medicare Part D premiums because of their income (over $85,000 per year for singles or $170,000 for married couples), or due to late enrollment penalties.
Part D Prescription Drug Plan Information
This plan includes prescription drug coverage. The formulary (00014402) has a total of 3,604 prescription medications.
If you have Part D assistance, your premium will be adjusted based on your percentage.
|Formulary Drug Details:||Tier 1||Tier 2||Tier 3||Tier 4||Tier 5|
|— Drugs per Tier:||60||1044||1252||651||597|
|— Cost-Sharing in ICP:||$4.00||$8.00||$45.00||$95.00||33%|
The Medicare Part D deductible with this health plan is $0.00. That means you have first dollar coverage.
Maximum Out of Pocket (MOOP) Benefit
The new healthcare law allows for a maximum limit of $6,700 on your out of pocket medical costs for 2014 Medicare Advantage plans. This amount is commonly called the plan MOOP (Maximum Out of Pocket). A plan's MOOP does not include your prescription drugs or the monthly premiums you pay for your health plan. Although the mandatory MOOP limit is $6,700, the Affordable Care Act law allows for a “Voluntary MOOP” that can be as low as $3,400. The MOOP on this plan is $5,300 .
Most Medicare health plans require you to make a co-payment (aka, copay) when you visit your primary care physician or a doctor. Here's how this plan works:
- $20 co-payment for each visit to your primary care physician.
- $40 co-payment for each visit to a specialist covered by Medicare.
Urgent Care Doctor Visits
Urgent care is the delivery of ambulatory medical care outside of a hospital emergency department on a walk-in basis without a scheduled appointment. Here's how Urgent Care works with this plan:
- $30 to $50 co-payment for urgent care treatment covered by Medicare.
Emergency care is medical attention for patients with acute illnesses or injuries which require immediate medical attention. Here's how Emergency Care works with this plan:
- $65 co-payment for emergency room treatments covered by Medicare.
- Worldwide coverage.
- When you are to the hospital within 24-hour(s) for the same medical condition you pay $0 for the emergency room treatment.
Most health plans do not cover transportation to and from medical services. The exception, of course, is when you have an emergency or when non-ambulatory. Here's how this plan covers ambulance service:
- $250 co-payment for ambulance benefits covered by Medicare.
Inpatient Treatment (Hospital Stays)
A patient who is admitted to a hospital or clinic for treatment that requires at least one overnight stay is an inpatient. Most health plans have a tiered cost structure for inpatient treatment. Here's how this plan covers hospital stays:
- There is no limit to the number of days covered by the plan per stay in the hospital.
- For hospital stay covered by Medicares:
- Days 1 - 8: $225 co-payment per day. .
- Days 9 - 90: $0 co-payment per day.
Diagnostic services include X-rays, diagnostic tests, lab services, and radiology services. Here's how this plan covers diagnostic services:
- $14 co-payment for Medicare-covered lab services.
- 20% of the cost for diagnostic procedures and tests covered by Medicare.
- $10 co-payment for X-Rays covered by Medicare.
- 20% of the cost for Medicare-covered diagnostic radiology services (not including X-rays).
- 20% of the cost for therapeutic radiology treatments covered by Medicare.
- If the physician provides you services in addition to Outpatient Diagnostic Procedures Tests and Lab Services separate cost sharing of $20 to $40 may apply.
- If the physician provides you services in addition to Outpatient Diagnostic and Therapeutic Radiology Services separate cost sharing of $20 to $40 may apply.
Medicare covers a wide range of preventive services, including cardiovascular screenings, alcohol misuse screening and counseling, depression screen, and diabedes screening, to name just a few. Here's how this plan covers preventive services:
- $0 co-payment for all preventive services covered by traditional Medicare at zero cost sharing. All additional preventive services approved by Medicare mid-year will be paid by the plan or by Medicare.
- $0 co-payment for a supplemental annual physical exam.
Skilled Nursing Facility
Medicare covers skilled nursing care in a skilled nursing facility (SNF) under certain conditions for a limited time (no long-term care). Here's how this plan covers SNF services:
- The plan will cover up to 100 days per benefit period.
- Prior inpatient treatment (hospital stay) is not required.
- For Skilled Nursing Facility stays covered by Medicare:
- Days 1 - 20: $25 co-payment per day. .
- Days 21 - 52: $152 co-payment per day. .
- Days 53 - 100: $0 co-payment per day.
Medicare covers both inpatient and outpatient mental health care services. Here's how this plan covers mental health
- $30 co-payment for each individual therapy visit covered by Medicare
- $30 co-payment for each group therapy visit covered by Medicare
- $30 co-payment for each individual therapy visit with a psychiatrist covered by Medicare.
- $30 co-payment for each Medicare-covered group therapy visit with a psychiatrist.
- $55 co-payment for partial hospitalization program services covered by Medicare.
- You are allowed a maximum of 190 days of inpatient (hospitalized) psychiatric care in a lifetime. Inpatient services are applied to the 190-day lifetime limitation only if certain conditions are met. This limitation does not apply to inpatient psychiatric care given in a general hospital.
- For hospital stay covered by Medicares:
- Days 1 - 6: $225 co-payment per day. .
- Days 7 - 90: $0 co-payment per day.
In general, Original Medicare does not cover routine dental care. Currently, Medicare will pay for dental services that are an integral part either of a covered procedure (e.g., reconstruction of the jaw following accidental injury), or for extractions done in preparation for radiation treatment for neoplastic diseases involving the jaw. Here's how this plan covers dental care:
- $40 co-payment for dental benefits covered by Medicare.
- $13 to $15 co-payment for up to 1 supplemental oral exam every six months.
- $15 co-payment for up to 1 supplemental cleaning every six months.
- $3 to $15 co-payment for up to 1 supplemental dental x-ray.
- The plan provides additional supplemental comprehensive dental benefits.
In general, Original Medicare does not cover routine vision care. Currently, Medicare will pay for Glaucoma screenigs, eye prostheses, Astigmatism-Correcting Intraocular Lenses, and A conventional IOL is covered when implanted following cataract surgery. Here's how this plan covers vision services:
- $0 to $40 co-payment for exams covered by Medicare to diagnose and treat diseases and conditions of the eye including an annual glaucoma screening for people at risk.
- $40 co-payment for up to 1 supplemental routine eye exam each year.
- $0 co-payment for one pair of eyeglasses covered by Medicare (lenses and frames) or contact lenses after cataract surgery.
- $30 co-payment for contact lenses.
- $0 co-payment for up to 1 pair of eyeglass lenses every two years.
- $30 co-payment for up to 1 frame every two years.
- $105 plan coverage limit for contact lenses every two years.
- $70 plan coverage limit for eyeglass frames every two years.
Medicare doesn't cover routine hearing exams, hearing aids, or exams for fitting hearing aids. Medicare covers diagnostic hearing and balance exams if your doctor or other health care provider orders these tests to see if you need medical treatment. Here's how this plan covers hearing services:
- $40 co-payment for diagnostic hearing exams covered by Medicare.
- $20 co-payment for up to 1 supplemental routine hearing exam each year.
- $450 co-payment each for up to 2 supplemental inner-ear hearing aid each year.
- $390 co-payment each for up to 2 supplemental over-the-ear hearing aid each year.
Compare Medicare Advantage Plans
Compare AARP MedicareComplete SecureHorizons Value with these top rated Medicare Advantage Plans available in San Diego County:
- Kaiser Permanente Senior Advantage San Diego
- AARP MedicareComplete SecureHorizons Premier
- Health Net Seniority Plus Green
- SCAN Signature
- Sharp SecureHorizons Plan by UnitedHealthcare
Related Medicare Plans in San Diego, CA
- Medicare Advantage Plans in San Diego County, CA
- California Medigap Medicare Supplements
- Senior Dental Insurance Available in California
- California Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans
This page was last updated on: 10/28/2013
About The Insurer UnitedHealthcare
United Healthcare is an operating division of UnitedHealth Group, the largest single health carrier in the United States. UnitedHealth Group is a diversified managed health care company headquartered in Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA. They offer a spectrum of products and services through two operating businesses: United Healthcare and Optum.
Through its family of subsidiaries and divisions, UnitedHealth Group serves approximately 70 million individuals nationwide. In 2010, the company posted a net income of $4.6 billion.
The summary (overall) rating for this UnitedHealthcare plan is 4.0 out of 5 based on reviews from 22706 user ratings from the previous year. For more information about the review process, visit http://cms.gov.